North Kildonan United Church is home to an active, growing Christian community of approximately 160 families and friends. We are a congregation that supports each other and our community with enthusiasm and dedication. Our worship services are held on Sunday mornings at 10:00 a.m. with Kid Konnection classes for children, youth and senior youth. During the week, our building is busy with mid week activities such as fellowship groups, fitness groups, meetings and choir rehearsals. Our doors are always open and our welcome is warm and friendly.
The history of North Kildonan United dates back over 60 years to 1954 when a group of parents from overcrowded John Black United Church started a Sunday school at Lord Kitchener School (now John Pritchard School) with 30 children and 5 teachers.
In 1958 property was purchased just north of Fortier Avenue (there was no Pentland Street at the time). In 1959 the congregation was accepted into the United Church of Canada by Winnipeg Presbytery as North Kildonan United Church. In 1961 a pre-fabricated building was installed on the property and in September of that year the first service was held. The congregation continued to grow as the area became more developed.
In 1968 the congregation became independent of John Black United and welcomed a part time minister, Dr. A.R MacIver to the church. Dr. MacIver was an effective and popular minister with the congregation steadily growing.
By 1974, the congregation had grown in membership and the question of full time ministry and a new building became important issues. Construction on the sanctuary was completed in the fall of 1975 with the first service held on December 14th. To address the issue of full time ministry, the congregation welcomed Rev. John Nesbitt who was inducted into ministry at North Kildonan United and the new sanctuary was dedicated, all on January 18, 1976.
Rev. Nesbitt served the congregation to 1984 and since then we have been blessed with the ministry of Pat Wotton, Alan Armstrong, Peter Mitchell, Joe Redpath and Marc Whitehead.
Rev. Whitehead joined our congregation in 2001 and under his leadership many challenges were met, issues resolved and our community of faith became secure and faith filled. He encouraged study of the residential school issue, held discussions on global and community concerns and supported all church committees and study groups.
2009 saw the celebration of the 50th anniversary of North Kildonan United Church. Celebrations were held throughout the year culminating in a beautiful homecoming service.
The next several years saw growth in our congregation with new members, development of communication and technology strategies and continued outreach to the local, national and global community. 2019 saw a change in ministry with Rev. Whitehead leaving to share his gifts with another pastoral charge.
In November 2019, North Kildonan United Church celebrated 60 years as a community of faith in the United Church of Canada. Displays, a historical review booklet, many guests, wonderful music and an inspiring message made our homecoming service an event to remember.
Our story is of a congregation with roots that started 60 years ago. It is a story of a congregation that continues to be resilient, self-reliant, and faith filled. We have grown secure in the knowledge that God is with us, that He truly lives here and His love endures. Through struggles, success, conflict and stability, we have accepted the challenges and will continue to bring the message of God’s love to each other and to the community. We are excited to continue this challenge in love, in faith, in peace. Thanks be to God.